Did you know that each foot has the same number of bones as the entire spine? That makes the feet pretty important, doesn’t it?
When it comes to looking after your health, it’s easy to forget about your feet. But given you could walk about 128,000 km in your lifetime, healthy feet are an important part of your overall wellbeing. Foot problems can have a huge impact on your quality of life. If they occur, podiatrists can help.
Podiatrists are often associated soley with general footsore, such as clipping the toenails of the elderly and removing corns and callous. While this is a huge part of what we do, our 4 year degree covers far more than that.
Podiatrists are the foot experts. Anything that affects the feet, your Podiatrist can treat, or give advice on. Podiatrists are also the gait experts. We watch people walk for a living, analysing the biomechanics of the foot, ankle, leg and hip specifically, but with an appreciation for the effect these parts have on the overall body.
Our podiatrists can help you by:
- Treating corns and callous
- Treating ingrown toenails
- Treating warts
- Treating foot pain including joint and muscle pain
- Conducting foot / leg and biomechanics assessments
- Conducting diabetic neurovascular testing
- Improving your mobility through gait related exercise prescription (using Anatomy in Motion techniques)
- Prescribe orthotics (insoles)
- Provide footwear advice
At BHH, we work holistically with our other therapists if we feel that a client will benefit from a combined approach.